Here we go...

It’s hard to know how to start this really, not being someone who writes a lot or at all really (unless its a shopping list!). I know they say everyone has a book in them but I am starting to think more realistically a bullet point list?!?! But I will give it a go on this little Blog!

I have copied all the background to my adventure from my facebook if anyone fancies reading how I got here feel free..

Sunday 11 January 2009

Eden to Ulladulla

This was a very quick trip, got into Ulladulla at 5.30am so around 12hours of sailing. Started well with dolphins surfing along the boat (I keep forgetting to mention then as I am getting used to seeing them, and little pengiuns in the bays and seals floating in the ocean, not to mention the albatross with their spectacular wings swooping down or hoping we are a fishing boat leaving left overs... ) and me cruising along downwind as always! The boys call this champagne sailing...

The wind picks up a little, 30 knots and I am held back from the helm... I was given about 5mins to show my worth in heavy winds but apparently it didn't come naturally quickly enough! So it sitting and watching the dolphins surfing alongside us for the rest of the trip to Ulladulla. Can't complain as I did get to navigate and plan this passage, so I settle for checking out position as we travel up the coast and trying to make out the lights along the coast line.

On arrival Bill as always, reliable in his delivery of the cup of tea and bacon and egg sarnie... although there have been a few laughs when I ask for lemon and ginger tea with honey... 3 old salty sea dogs hadn't heard that one before!!

I spend most of the day reading my navigation book, yes I am getting a bit keen on this sailing lark if you hadn't noticed by now. I reckon I will have finished the book by Sydney. We get a visit from the harbour master who comes to tell us about another Hobart boat that is coming in with a broke mast... hilariously it is what is left of Kioni the boat I had in the Hobart. So glad I am not on that one..!

We head to a nice Italian in the evening, then on to the local pub. Just me and Bert hang on with a few drinks later, running into the not so happy delivery crew from the Kioni we find out that the vang (holds up the boom) finally gave in and the boom broke on the way up. It seems that most people are not cruising in the fabulous conditions we have been so I have to commend Bob on his fantastic skill in reading the forecast and wind and deciding when we leave! Obvioulsy its my navigation too (ha ha !).

So anyway, after a few games of pool and meeting many of the locals (probably should have stopped winning at pool!) we actually get thrown out... well Bert does, he was advised by a young bouncer that he was intoxicated and needed to leave. We didn't argue, in fact he probably did us a favour and saved us money on pool and the juke box.. not to mention more drink. Apparently though it is almost impossible to get thrown out. Only one other person got thrown out and he threatened to blow the pub up! So Bert is now a legend in Ulladulla.

Next day we meet Berts friends Sue and Stephane and their daughter Olivia. They own a beach house near the surfing beaches of Ulladulla and have been kind enough to offer us a place to stay for a few days. Its great to relax, get to the beach and chill out for a few days before we finally set sail for Sydney. Everyone is so nice and I am being so well looked after, feeling very spoilt I have to say. It is just such a wonderful experience and so many really truly kind, generous and interesting people who will hopefully be friends.

Steph is going to be joining us on the sail back to Sydney which is planned for first thing on the 12th Jan, until then it is great food, great wine, great company and a double bed hmmmm luxury!!